Best Vertical GPU Mount: Computer users and enthusiasts alike are delighted when working or gaming on computers that are excellent in aesthetics and efficiency. Such computers would house high-end graphics cards with LED lighting and a beautiful design.
Thanks to its robust 220mm flat-line riser cable, the Phanteks PH-VGPUKT_02 Universal Vertical GPU Bracket will support most heavy-duty GPUs out there, making it our top pick. However, it requires an open PCI slot design with up to 7 available slots.
To get that satisfaction, you need a mount with an eye-catching design. This quality, particularly with visuals, requires large, high-quality graphics cards, thus necessitating a different vertical GPU mount kit integrated into a compatible chassis.
Below is an overview of some of the best vertical GPU mounts you can find on the market.
Table of Contents
- Best Vertical GPU Mount – Comparison Table
- Should I Mount my GPU Vertically?
- How Do You Install a Vertical Mount on a GPU?
- Does Vertical GPU Mount Affect Temperature?
- What to Look for?
- Best Vertical GPU Mounts
- Final Thoughts
Best Vertical GPU Mount – Comparison Table
Should I Mount my GPU Vertically?
One benefit of vertical mounting is that it prevents the GPU from sagging, which is if your graphics card sags in a horizontal installation because of lack of support and the weight of the card.
- This is easy to fix for vertical installations as you can use GPU bracket support to prevent this from happening. Custom PC makers routinely choose vertical GPU support for its aesthetics and look.
- There’s no point in spending your hard-earned money on a GPU and not bragging about it, right? So, in addition to displaying RGB-lit graphics cards, using a vertical GPU mount is ideal if the graphics cards are water-cooled.
- It allows you to see the best coolant and water blocking actions happening. However, unfortunately, it’s a sight you can’t see with your graphics card facing down from its case.
- Simply put, mounting GPUs vertically adds more aesthetics and appeal to your rig. Today, many high-end graphics cards offer excellent RGB effects. Plus, they’re fully customizable and perfect for RGB enthusiasts.
- To harness the full potential of RGB lighting, vertically mounting the GPU is the best option. Also, vertical GPU mount is beneficial for those who build custom rigs. Its format is perfect for custom computers, particularly water-cooled ones.
- With vertical mounting, you can also use the RGB lighting effects that come with the GPU.
How Do You Install a Vertical Mount on a GPU?
If you install a vertically mounted graphics card, you must perform the following steps for proper installation.
- You need to first connect the side bracket to its bottom bracket by securing them with 3 screws. Then you need to connect the PCIe riser cable to the bottom bracket.
- Make sure you use two screws to make sure everything stays in place. If you don’t have a riser cable yet, consider purchasing one like the Gigabyte PCIe 3.0 x16 riser cable. Next, install your graphics card in the PCIe mounting slot.
- Also, make sure you have it securely attached to the bracket with screws.
- If your chassis does not already have a vertical GPU bracket or slot, you can purchase the best vertical GPU mount kit to mount the graphics card vertically.
- Ensure your case is compatible and meets all vertical GPU kit requirements. In this case, you can put the holder in its case.
- Use the case screws provided, then connect the riser card to the PCIe slot on your motherboard. After that, you are done with the setup!
Does Vertical GPU Mount Affect Temperature?
Vertical mounting of a GPU may negatively affect the temperature. For example, if you mount your GPU vertically in your PC case, the fans will come much closer to the side window.
- Usually, that wouldn’t be a problem for a water-cooled GPU, but for an air-cooled GPU, it’s a nightmare because the small footprint isn’t really enough for airflow.
- In fact, airflow is drastically reduced, resulting in increased temperatures and thermal throttling, which invariably affects clock speeds.
What to Look for?
When it comes to vertical GPU mounting, there are some factors that you need to consider before making a purchase decision. Because of this, we’ve rounded up a few crucial factors to help you choose the best vertical GPU mounts.
A) Holding Capacity
Today, most graphics cards are enormous in size and weight. To stand them vertically, you’ll need a sturdy GPU bracket that can hold any giant GPU. If it is of poor quality that cannot support most giant GPUs, the GPU will sag, which can damage your expensive GPU. Therefore, you need to check the holding capacity of the GPU vertical mount to ensure its stable position.
B) Riser Cable
The riser cable is one of the most critical aspects of GPU mounts.
- Even if you have chosen a durable vertical GPU bracket, it would be a nightmare in operation if it didn’t come with a high-quality riser cable.
- The GPU’s overall performance depends on the riser cable as it can handle the data transfer.
- In addition, the riser cable is also responsible for missing signals when rendering files.
- So, check the quality of the riser cable to have an uninterrupted connection between the graphics card and motherboard.
Purchasing a multi-compatible graphics card gives you the maximum benefits.
- If you choose a compatible GPU mount, you can configure your GPU with most ATX cases.
- In addition, it allows you to make adjustments with most graphics cards.
- While most GPU vertical mounts offer maximum compatibility, you should check compatibility to ensure maximum performance.
D) Cable Flexibility
A high-quality riser cable always retains flexibility. There are enormous advantages to having a flexible cable. You can move the riser cable around in the PC case quickly. Additionally, you can bend the cable to maximize case space.
E) Magnetic Support
Some vertical GPU mounts come with magnetic support under the unit. These magnets basically help to create a stable balance between the mount and the casing. Primarily, this magnetic support prevents the GPU from sagging. So, you can consider this feature when choosing a vertical GPU mount for heavy graphics cards.
Best Vertical GPU Mounts
Here are the top 5 best vertical GPU mounts on the market today.
1. Phanteks PH-VGPUKT_02 Universal Vertical GPU Bracket
The PH-VGPUKT_02 from Phanteks is a high-end universal vertical GPU mount you can get for your new build.
- For starters, this GPU bracket boasts a solid construction as it’s made with a metal frame strong enough to support the weight of your graphics cards with no bending or sagging.
- The metallic finish is lovely and can be seamlessly integrated into your PC case. This mounting kit is specially designed for PC cases with an open PCIe slot design in terms of installation.
- The installation is straightforward, as you only have to plug it in via seven PCIe slots and secure it with the three thumbscrews provided.
- Also, it comes with sticky pads that protect the smooth bottom of the bracket, so you don’t have to worry about scratching other components. Finally, it fits perfectly in full-size PC cases and leaves plenty of space for lower fans.
- The Phanteks PH-VGPUKT_02 Mounting Kit also comes with a robust 220mm flat-line riser cable supporting PCI-e 3.0.The riser cable is crafted from gold-plated contacts that work seamlessly with the latest graphics card and enable fast data transfer.
- This way, you can focus on gaming without the screen constantly flickering or FPS dropping.
2. CableMod Vertical PCI-e Bracket
If you want to showcase your sleek liquid- or air-cooled GPU without suffocating it thermally, CableMod’s Vertical PCI-e Bracket is your best bet.
- First of all, this GPU holder has a durable and reliable construction made from a steel frame. This means it will stay stable and firmly in place even with the most powerful graphics card installed.
- The steel frame is finished with a high-quality powder coating, giving it a sleek and luxurious look that fits perfectly into most new PC cases. This way, you can safely mount your magnificent GPU while improving the aesthetics of your build.
- The user-friendly design of this kit makes it relatively easy to assemble and install.
- For compatibility reasons, this vertical mount kit can be used seamlessly with virtually any PC case, as long as it has seven PCI-e slots.
- Another great advantage of this mounting kit is that it places your graphics card far away from the glass panel, allowing thermal reduction and adequate airflow for optimum performance.
- Beyond that, the CableMod PCI-e Bracket is equipped with a single PCI-e riser cable. As a result, you can easily connect your GPU to a PCIe slot on the motherboard. The high-quality riser cable works excellent with high-end GPUs and ensures fast data transfer.
- Also, this mounting kit comes with two DisplayPort 1.4 cables that extend the display ports out of the PC case so that you can easily connect to your monitor.
3. Cooler Master Universal Vertical GPU Mount Kit V2
The Cooler Master Universal Vertical GPU Mount Kit V2 has been specially developed for standard ATX cases. It allows users to better display their beautiful GPU and its cooler.
- This unit features a sturdy, high-quality SGCC steel base and frame to ensure it supports your heavy-duty graphics cards with no folding.
- The bottom part is equipped with solid magnetic support, which holds it firmly in your PC case and prevents unwanted movements.
- The bracket parts are made of high-quality ABS plastic and uniquely designed to tightly lock to ensure that they will not move even after installing your graphics card. The brackets are also helpful in preventing large GPUs from sagging.
- Unlike the Phanteks PH-VGPUKT_02 and CableMod Vertical PCI-e Bracket, this unit features an adjustable design.
- The adjustable design allows you to adjust the bar to two different sizes to suit your case size and accommodate different GPU sizes.
- Also, this allows you to install it in PC cases with open or closed PCI slots. With this kit, you get a version 2 top riser cable to connect your GPU to the PCIe slots on the motherboard.
- The high-speed riser cable works amazingly well without noticeable degradation to the GPU. Installing this kit into the PC case is very easy, so long your case has seven free PCI slots.
- This vertical GPU bracket leaves plenty of room on the side panels for optimum GPU airflow and cooling when installed.
4. Lian Li O11D Mini Vertical GPU Mount
If you want a simple yet effective unit, just get the Lian Li O11D Mini Vertical GPU Mount. It is easy to install, inexpensive, and keeps your GPU vertical, which is its primary purpose.
- The bracket sports an adjustable rubber pad that offers support, making this GPU mount more or less universal in size. Installation is pretty straightforward – all you need to do is some screwing, and you are good to go.
- The riser cable that comes with this unit is super flexible. Thanks to the six-core construction, the riser cable can also reach the tightest of places.
- In addition to other wire band constructions, the six-wire band is reliable for shielding and data transmission. It is the only vertical mount on our list that sports a six-wire design.
- Some users have reported better transmission, shielding, and attenuation than the five-wire and seven-wire designs.
- With this riser cable, you get optimum GPU performance, as the data transfer rate of the cable is 16Gbps.
- It sports an adjustable design just like Cooler Master Universal Vertical GPU Mount. The adjustable GPU mount helps showcase your GPUs and improve cooling efficiency by mounting them vertically or at an angle between 0 and 90 degrees on the power supply cover.
- The base bracket is equipped with a solid magnet to make the bracket in the power supply casing stable.
- As for the cons, it would be great if we had multiple rubber pads of different sizes. Other than that, it’s one of the best budget GPU vertical mounts on the market.
5. LINKUP Vertical GPU Mount
The LINKUP Vertical GPU Mount is a direct mount that is easy to use and can support the weight of most graphics cards.
- It is developed for most medium/full ATX towers with at least seven PCI slots available. In addition, the LINKUP GPU riser has 3mm of aluminum, which prevents the GPU from sagging and weighing the motherboard down.
- These things can damage ports and sometimes cause long-term damage to your graphics card if left untreated. This unit is compatible with most one, two, and three-slot graphics cards.
- Also, it is compatible with GPU – RTX3060TI, RTX3070, RTX3080, RTX3090, RX6800, RX6900XT and chipset – B550, X570, B590, and Z590.
- The generous cable length and a 90 degrees PCIe slot minimize the cable load so that you can easily install your GPU vertically incompatible PC cases.
- The incredible feature of the included riser cable is that it guarantees maximum transmission without data signal loss.
- The EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) shielding ensures maximum performance. The shielding consists of a TPE plastic jacket and an insulating layer made of PE.
- The LINKUP GPU Vertical Mount is a budget-friendly option for your GPU, and it does everything right. Its matte black appearance matches most GPUs.
- So, for those who are just looking for a mount that does the job, the LINKUP Vertical GPU Mount is the right choice.
Our pick for the best vertical GPU mount is the Phanteks PH-VGPUKT_02 Universal GPU Bracket.
- It is a high-end universal vertical GPU mount that boasts a solid construction as it's made with a metal frame strong enough to support the weight of your graphics cards with no bending or sagging.
- Also, it comes with a robust 220mm flat-line riser cable that supports PCI-e 3.0. The metallic finish is lovely and can be seamlessly integrated into your PC case.
Although many PC cases cannot support vertically mounted graphics cards, users will still want a variety of layouts and greater efficiency in their computers.
Primarily, vertically mounted GPUs are for aesthetic reasons but have the advantage that you can install your bulky high-end graphics card vertically to prevent sagging and reduce weight on the PCIe slots on your motherboard.
When choosing the best vertical GPU mount for your computer, make sure it is compatible with your case for ease of installation. Almost all the mounting kits reviewed in this guide are compatible with various case sizes, so you won’t have any compatibility issues.
All the above kits allow you to mount your GPUs vertically while maintaining adequate airflow for efficient cooling.