If you have ever had to use two different computers simultaneously, you likely know how annoying it is to switch back and forth between different monitors, keyboards, and mice. While trying to focus on the screen, you are constantly distracted from the device you are supposed to be using.
If you want high-quality, consistent resolution when switching devices, TESmart 4x4 KVM Switch is your best option for an immersive gaming experience.
With the best KVM switch for Gaming, you can operate 2 or more computers with a single mouse, keyboard, and monitor. Not only does this reduce clutter and make your various computers easier to operate, but it also saves money by eliminating the need to purchase additional accessories.
In this guide, we will review the most essential KVM switches to maximize your gaming experience.
Table of Contents
- Best KVM Switch For Gaming – Comparison Table
- What is a KVM Switch?
- How Does the KVM Switch Work?
- Are KVM Switches Worth it for Gaming?
- What Does a KVM Switch Allow you to do for Gaming Setup?
- Do KVM Switches Support 144Hz?
- What Look for?
- Best KVM Switch for Gaming
- Key References
Best KVM Switch For Gaming – Comparison Table
What is a KVM Switch?
A KVM switch is a device that allows users to operate 2 or more computers with a single monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
- These devices are widely used in places where one person can easily access large amounts of data that require 2 or more computers.
- These units are also known as CPU switches, server switches, and PC switchers. They are small and can accommodate 2 to 8 different computers simultaneously.
- If you want to use multiple computers at the same time, a KVM switch is a solution.
How Does the KVM Switch Work?
- A KVM switch’s basic design has a mouse and keyboard input and connection to a video display. This then connects to the mouse/keyboard ports and video output of various computers.
- With just a push of a button on the Switch, you can use a mouse, keyboard, and video monitor and easily switch between computers you’ve plugged in.
- While this is certainly not required in all computer configurations, a KVM switch makes it easy to multitask between several workstations and use one setup for multiple systems.
Are KVM Switches Worth it for Gaming?
If you are a multi-computer gaming enthusiast and feel like your devices (for the most part peripherals) are taking up too much space in your personal space, then turning to KVM switches to declutter a good idea.
- With the best KVM switch for Gaming, you can operate multiple computers or servers and all associated peripheral devices with a single mouse, monitor, and keyboard.
- This is a huge timesaver for gamers who use different computers and other devices under various circumstances.
What Does a KVM Switch Allow you to do for Gaming Setup?
KVM switches are hardware switches that allow you to operate multiple PCs using a mouse, keyboard, and video display (monitor).
- Basically, you can operate two PCs with just one keyboard and mouse from your regular monitor.
- A KVM switch is not just physical hardware. There are many practical virtual KVM applications that you can use to share your keyboard and mouse with computers.
- The best part is that they are easy to set up! When using multiple systems, a KVM switch is an effective way to increase your productivity.
- Using a single mouse and keyboard to control multiple computers saves you money and time.
Do KVM Switches Support 144Hz?
Yes, some KVM switches support 144Hz 2560×1440 and 3440×1440 monitors with FreeSync and G-Sync.
- 1440p at 144Hz works as long as the connected devices also support this refresh rate and resolution.
- G-Sync works through a KVM switch as long as the monitors also support it.
- However, we recommend keeping DisplayPort cable lengths short (less than 10 feet) for best results.
What Look for?
While the primary purpose of a KVM switch is to switch between 2 different computers using a mouse, keyboard, and monitor, there are several other factors to consider when purchasing a KVM switch.
The best KVM switch for Gaming can switch computers seamlessly and take minimal time to respond to user commands. The on-screen display, system compatibility, and port capacity are also important metrics for the value of a KVM switch.
Sadly, not all KVM switches are compatible with all PCs. While some work with Windows and Mac, others only work with Mac or Windows. Before purchasing, it is essential to make sure that it works with your specific computer system.
B) Power Supply
While some KVM switches work with the computers, they are connected to, others are powered internally. Internally powered KVM switches are typically the most consistent and reliable. Since they are not dependent on the quality of the computer they are connected to, they can switch between computers seamlessly.
C) Port Capacity
KVM switches can switch between two different computers using a monitor, mouse, and keyboard in the simplest case. At their most advanced level, they can switch between a dozen computers. You must make your purchase according to your peculiar needs.
D) On-screen Display
A KVM switch’s quality can directly affect the quality of the image displayed on your computer screen. While the wrong switches make your monitor look pixilated and grainy, the best ones make it look like your monitor isn’t plugged in at all.
Best KVM Switch for Gaming
Here are the top 6 best KVM switches for Gaming on the market today:
1. TESmart 4×4 KVM Switch Review
TESmart 4×4 KVM Switch is an HDMI KVM switch that can easily be used for Gaming thanks to its 4 Ultra high definition HDMI inputs and 4x 4K Ultra high definition HDMI outputs.
- The best KVM switch dual monitor is supplied with remote control. You can control the matrix switch without being next to the actual device and save the matrix’s status even after it has been switched off.
- The purpose of integrating the TESmart HDMI KVM switch, despite some of its main drawbacks, is that it has an HDMI KVM switch that supports 4K @60Hz screen quality.
- Switching between multiple devices is easy and convenient with this unit. You can use up to four computer systems simultaneously to share devices between them.
- This Switch supports hot switching. Note, however, that hotkey switching may not work when the USB port is connected.
- All basic mouse and keyboard functions work well and quickly with this Switch.
2. ABLEWE KVM Switch Review
ABLEWE KVM Switch is a switcher with which gaming enthusiasts can quickly and easily exchange multiple devices between two computers.
- This device has 4 USB output ports and 2 USB input ports, so you can quickly move keyboards, mice, and printers between computers without disconnecting and unplugging cables.
- The push-buttons with LED indicators make switching between systems easy. It supports a 4K resolution at 60Hz, making the image display more realistic and exquisite.
- The ABLEWE KVM Switch is compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux, and Vista.
- Additionally, it supports many types of signal sources and input devices such as Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PS3, PS4 Pro, PS4, and many more.
3. ULBRE USB 3.0 Switch Selector Review
The ULBRE USB 3.0 Switch Selector is also suitable for gamers, especially hobbyists. It supports two computers at the same time and works with 4 high-speed USB 3.0 ports.
- This unit works with mechanical keyboards as well, but in this case, you might have to live with a somewhat frustrating buzz. The best thing about this device is its minimal design, which takes up the least amount of space.
- Sharing files between computers has never been easier or faster. Switching from one system to another is quick and easy.
- The one-touch Switch makes things very convenient, and the exercise becomes instinctive within hours.
- It features a sufficient power supply for a keyboard, a mouse, and a storage drive.
- However, if you want to use an HD camera, printer, or scanner, you need to use the Micro-USB port.
- The problem lies in the positioning of the cable connection interfaces since the cable is clearly visible to the viewer wherever you place the housing, which is not suitable in any environment.
- The cable connectors should be on the back of the case.
4. TESmart Dual Monitor KVM Switch Review
If you want high-quality, consistent resolution when switching devices, TESmart Dual Monitor KVM Switch is your best option.
- With the EDID emulator, this unit can support 4K resolution at 60Hz and maintain that quality between devices while each PC adjusts to its optimized display settings.
- This is an excellent feature because Linux, Windows, and other operating systems tend to distort or damage the screen area when something changes.
- Although it is primarily an HDMI KVM switch, it supports 2 USB connections (not including the two keyboards and mouse ports).
- The lack of RGB support and customization has a slight downside. When you’re connected directly to the Switch, you will be stuck with the settings you made earlier. Make sure you really like this domino effect before you connect!
- Overall, TESmart Dual Monitor KVM Switch offers incredible versatility and even allows remote, automatic, or hot switching devices.
- It seems more designed for a desktop environment; despite having a long list of supported devices, the operating systems and gaming peripherals are pretty limited and inconsistent for such a high price.
5. CKL Dual Monitor HDMI KVM Switch Review
The CKL KVM Switch is another excellent KVM switch for a dual monitor gaming setup.
- You can connect two different PCs to your dual monitor configuration and take your gaming experience to the next level.
- This KVM switch also supports a wide variety of peripherals, including DVR, HDD, and webcam, which will significantly enhance your gaming experience.
- The most helpful feature of this KVM switch for Gaming is its cross-platform support. This gives you a precise fit for both computers.
- We love this device for its HDMI, dual monitor, and multiple support platforms.
- If you’re a regular gamer and want better customization of your gaming setup, you should choose CKL Dual Monitor HDMI KVM Switch.
6. Steetek 2-Port Dual Monitor KVM Switch Review
The Steetek 2-Port Dual Monitor KVM Switch features a sturdy metal case that resists both breakage and compression.
- It features a thermal design that can help quickly dissipate heat. This unit supports wireless mouse and keyboards and mechanical gaming keyboards, making it perfect for Gaming.
- It helps you use a set of keyboards and mice to control two computers and share two monitors.
- With a 4K resolution support at 30Hz, you are guaranteed a realistic and exquisite image display.
- The Steetek 2-Port Dual Monitor KVM Switch is powered by USB, meaning you don’t need any external power adapter.
- Simply connect your devices to enjoy an immersive gaming experience.
Our pick for the best KVM switch for Gaming is the TESmart 4x4 KVM Switch.
- This unit supports 4K resolution @60Hz and provides excellent compatibility that will allow you to use it with Windows, Mac, Linux, UNIX, and other operating systems.
- This Switch offers incredible flexibility, allowing for easy switching between multiple devices.
Knowing your specific needs can save you money in the long run because you know exactly what you need and don’t buy unnecessary equipment. We hope this article helps you choose the right KVM switch for your gaming setup.
- “What is a KVM switch? | ATEN Corporate Headquarters”. Accessed March 26, 2021. Link.